Why is literacy so important?
Understanding the written word is vital for success in everyday life. Having competency in literacy allows students to be socially engaged citizens who can communicate effectively with others and the world around them.
How can the Literacy Clinic help my child?
One of the ways you can help your child learn to read is by giving them extra, 1:1 support with a qualified practitioner. Our Literacy Clinic provides students struggling to develop appropriate reading and spelling skills with effective, high-quality 1:1 intervention.
If you or your child’s teachers are noticing any of the following, then we can help.
- Are they falling behind in their literacy development?
- Are they struggling to read accurately and fluently?
- Are they making frequent spelling errors, particularly in written expression?
- Are they displaying a reluctance to participate in literacy-based activities?
- Are they compensating when reading, by guessing from pictures, initial letters or the ‘look’ of a word?
- Do they have difficulty remembering the relationships between sounds and letters?
- Do they have poor self-esteem, particularly in relation to literacy activities?
- Do they have a suspected or diagnosed learning difficulty, such as dyslexia?
How do we help children learn to read?
We use the multi-sensory, phonics program called Sounds-Write, a highly recommended program for teaching all children to read and spell. Students attend individual, personalised sessions with our experienced practitioners, either face to face or online.
What can I expect from Clinic Sessions?
- A high quality, evidence-based linguistics phonics program
- Delivered by qualified Sounds-Write trained practitioners
- Initial placement screening
- Intervention delivered weekly face-to-face or online
- Ongoing monitoring, assessment and feedback
- Access to high quality evidence-based resources
- Each student clinic session is 45 minutes
What parents are saying about our Literacy Clinic:
“Clear and strong progress has been seen by us and his school and we could not be more thrilled by the approach.”
“Our daughter has felt confident and empowered from her interactions with the Sounds-Write program.”
“SPELD SA provided a lot of information which we found very useful. Thoroughly recommend the Literacy Clinic.”
“I hope schools and teachers jump on board with this… it is brilliant to see a child’s mindset change and feel they can do it.”
“We love that the readers are based on what she is learning so she is able to read them.”
Meet Our Practitioners
Angelik, Team Leader and Practitioner
Click the orange link below to register for this highly sought after program
Introduction to the Sounds-Write Program for Parents
This on-demand video provides you with an introduction to the Sounds-Write phonics program for beginner readers. The course is directed at parents, runs for 1 hour and 18 minutes, and will give you support to get your child learning to read and write.