Supporting Home Learning
As we continue to adapt and work together to navigate life and learning at home for the short term, we acknowledge that home is not school, and students and parents will need to adapt to a new style of learning.
SPELD SA have put together the following information to support our community:
Creating a Home Learning Environment
This facts sheet will be helpful for parents faced with the task of educating their child at home. It will provide tips and tricks for getting your learning space set up and ready to succeed.
Free Daily Schedules
SPELD SA has created two daily schedules to support parents and students to establish a regular and manageable structure to use within the home for Years R – 4 and Years 4 - 7. Download buttons can be found below.
They include a literacy and numeracy focus and provide opportunities for physical movement and independent activities, followed by a page with links to recommended websites to support each of the sessions.
At the bottom of the R - 4 schedule you will find a motivation chart. Younger students can negotiate to receive a reward when they have coloured all 3 stars as they follow their daily schedule and receive parent feedback.
SPELD SA Tutors
SPELD SA has a register of private tutors who can work with individual students online. Tutors are registered teachers with additional training and expertise in working with children with specific learning difficulties and disabilities. Sessions are normally attended weekly for one hour.
- Includes articles from Core Knowledge Foundation
- Free Readers and Maths Resources from Oxford Owl
- Scholastic Learn at Home Free Resources
- Magic Dice
- SPELD SA Music and Movement YouTube Channel
- Free Resources from PLD
- Typing Tutorials
- Audible by Amazon free Access
- The Body Coach - Movement breaks for kids
- The world of David Walliams
- Department for Education - Our Learning SA
- Little Learners Love Literacy Free Resources
- Calm Kids Central video for kids on coping with the worries about Coronavirus
- Nessy educational YouTube Channels
- Jolly Phonics Lessons App
- Sounds~Write on Helping your child to Read and Write
- "Captain Underpants" Dav Pilkey's "At Home" virtual classes on Drawing, Reading and more..
- Letters and Sounds - from the Department for Education UK
- Phonics Play Comics - Free Access to Resources
- The Gruffalo
- Alphablocks & Numberblocks
- Talk 4 Writing - Home School Booklets for Foundation to Year 8
- Phonic Books UK Free Decodable books and resources
- State Library Free downloadable board games
- Jolly Phonics Whiteboard - Free to use until 31 July 2020
- ABC's Gardening Australia interview with Daniel, a young man with Dyspraxia