Year Level: Foundation
Phonological awareness (and more specifically phonemic awareness) appears to unlock the mystery of word recognition and spelling. Once a child is conscious of the sounds that comprise words, the mapping of the sounds to the alphabetic system occurs with much greater ease.
The Phonemic Awareness Readiness for Spelling
The phonemic awareness pre-requisite for spelling simple regular CVC [consonant-vowel-consonant] words such as ‘tap’, ‘sun’ and ‘log’ is the skill of segmentation. E.g. ‘What sounds can you ‘hear’ (i.e. identify) in the word ‘peg’?’ Answer: ‘p’… ‘e’… ‘g’.
The simple but powerful learning activities included in Learning to Segment CVC words for Foundation learners, provide multiple opportunities for students rehearse this important pre-requisite skill. The negative side of presenting activities without attention to the pre-requisite skill is that it does not set up all children for success. When this program is used in conjunction with screening this program forms a significant component in a school’s preventative/early intervention strategy.
- A no-preparation required full colour eBook.
- Introduction/Note from the author.
- Over 40 coloured picture which develop the skill of segmentation.
- Each card has specific scripted instructions providing clear guidelines on how to effectively teach segmentation.
- A progress check/skill assessment to review readiness for spelling.
- The colour card sets form the basis of short explicit instruction sessions.
The programs within the range include:
- Learning to Blend Onset and Rime
- Learning to Blend Three Phonemes
Learning to Segment CVC Words – Flip Book
- Product Code: 9781925057638
- Availability: In Stock